[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Pacmakers and Tesla coils = bad??

Hi All,

	I ran across a few interesting web sites that told of problems with
pacemakers and electrical interference.  A few of the better ones are:

www.guidant-dot-com/patient/PaceGuide/p4.htm
www.bir-dot-org.uk/online/sample/jan98/971/
http://www.heartinfo-dot-org/reutersnews/t100812f.htm

It appears today's modern computerized RAM, ROM, programmable,
microprocessor, built in defibrillator, etc. pacemakers may be "confused"
by things like arc welders, diathermy, x-ray, MRI, Shoplift detectors,
airport security, etc.  equipment that puts out powerful RF or magnetic fields.

My first thought was that Tesla coils beat all those interference sources
easily!!

So... we should probably be extra careful of people with pacemakers around
TCs.  The new devices may be much more susceptible than the older simpler
pacemaker devices.  No one with a pacemaker should ever touch the output
arcs of a Tesla coil.  The nerves may not feel all that RF current inside
the body but it may easily harm a pacemaker!

I would think a Tesla coil would be an excellent test bed for pacemakers
and their susceptibility to nasty electromagnetic fields.  It would have to
be a lab grade device that was consistent.  Perhaps a few million bucks
from a government grant would help out defining how a Tesla coil could be
used to rate such devices...  Apparently, the new pacemaker's ability to
deal with such emitted energy sources is a very big deal...

Cheers,

	Terry