[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Anti parallel spark gap, something new?

In a message dated 2/16/2000 7:15:46 AM Mountain Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>  ___
>  _o | o_
>

>  Do any of you have tried something like this? I can imagine I still
>  have to cool things down with forced air, but still I'am intriged by this
>  idea.
>
>  I hope you c^4 (cool crazy combined coilers) will find this as much
>  interesting as I'am.
>
>  Ruud de Graaf
>  Greetings from lovely and wet Holland

Hi Ruud,
   Welcome to the list.   I have seen one such idea for a spark gap.  You can
see it at : <A HREF="http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/6160">The
Arcstarter Page</A>
It is used in an application to create a plasma jet by having the gap
parallel to one of the two conductors to "blow" the plasma down a tube.  It
seems like it should work if you can get the line close enough to the gap
without the arc jumping at the wrong place.  I think you should consider
using mica or teflon as the insulator.  Those materials can take heat better
than plexiglass and you can get the gap closer without puncturing the
insulator.
My 2 cents,
Mike