[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Fw: MMC Caps

----------
> From: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>
> To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Re: MMC Caps
> Date: Thursday, February 17, 2000 4:06 AM
>
> Summary answers below..
>
> > Subject: MMC Caps
> >
> > Original Poster: "Daniel Lockhart" <DanielLockhart-at-letu.edu>
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I've been out of the picture for a while, and I'm sure you get a a lost
> of
> > posts about MMC caps, but my curiosity is up.
> >
> > 	a). Do they perform as well?

Better than home made rolled poly.
> > 	b). Are they sufficiently durable?

much more durable.  And, because the components are commercially
manufactured, much easier to predict the characteristics.
> > 	c). Are they actually easier to construct?
Lots of soldering for an MMC vs mechanical issues of rolling slippery
polyethylene sheets and fooling with oil and vacuum impregnation.
> > 	d). How are they contained? (oil bath?)
Air
> > 	e). Are they too good to be true?
No, they aren't, they are better.