[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First Pole Pig TC in Germany??

-----Original Message-----
From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Date: Tuesday, February 22, 2000 11:35 AM
Subject: Re: First Pole Pig TC in Germany??

>Original Poster: "Reinhard Walter Buchner" <rw.buchner-at-verbund-dot-net>
>
>Hi Jim, all,
>
>> Original Poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>
>

>Hehehe. Bad joke ;o)) Single phase pigs are almost
>non existent over here, because all households are
>fed with 3 phase. The smallest 3 phase pig I could find
>was a 50kVA unit. Needless to say, I passed it up, because
>there was no hope of transporting, storing or easily using
>such a monster. In the rural *fart*, where I live (1200 people),
>3x 650kVA (21kV to 380V) 3-phase units (distributed all
>throughout our town) deliver the power to all households.
>A 650kVA unit would deliver some assume sparks, tho ;o))

how interesting..  So then they deliver 380/220Y directly to the houses..
And you have a three phase breaker panel.

>For the above reasons I have tried most everything (large
>OBIT arrays, MOTS, etc, etc) before finally settling on
>the 7.5kV NSTs. The max allowable voltage above ground
>(for NSTs) was changed in 1963 from +/-8kV to +/- 4kV
>above ground (sucks). However, Teslaīs creation runs
>on low voltage, too ;o)). I even was crazy enough ask
>what a custom built xformer would cost. 12kV and 1A
>(BIL of 50kV) would have set me back around $1700
>(yeah thatīs $$ not DM), which let me back off quickly.

Ouch.. what about calling the US transformer manufacturers, and shipping via
"boat"?

>Similar goes for my asking AEG for a pulse cap. 100nF
>-at-30kVac would have set me back a small fortune (~
>$2500, GASP!!), which is another reason, why I am
>glad, that I discovered MMC caps ;oo)). In Germany,
>we have a saying "Not macht erfinderisch", which simply
>means: "Canīt find what you are looking for? Go and
>build it!!"

Mind you, this is what a new cap would cost from Maxwell, as well..

>Of course, I have open arms for a nice pig, if one ever
>floats in my vicinity. I am also still looking for some pulse
>caps for exploding wire experiments. 15-20kV and a few
>ĩF (80-100+ ĩF would be great ;o)) Compensation caps,
>used in the States for utility lines are non existent, here
>(tried that already). This is probably due to the fact that
>3 phase power somewhat self compensates and they
>arenīt necessary.

Perhaps also, the power distribution lines are shorter, have less series
inductance to correct out.  There is also a great emphasis in Europe (I have
heard) on getting rid of oil filled switchgear because of the fire hazard.
During the war, there were a lot of problems with oil insulated gear
catching fire and aggravating the problems.  Dry transformers, Air blast
Circuit breakers, and SF6 insulated gear is much more common, the latter
because it is more compact.  In the US, you typically have a lot of space to
put substations, etc.

PFC caps don't work very well in TC applications anyway, or in pulse
discharge (better than nothing, but not all that great).