[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary is throwing small streamers off the top two wraps -help?

Hi Scot, Bill,

> Original Poster: "Bunnykiller" <bigfoo39-at-idt-dot-net>
> > Original Poster: "William Parn" <parn-at-fgm-dot-com>
> > Uh oh  the top two windings of my secondary started spraying 4" arcs
> > out off it all around.
SNIP

> 2 things may be going on here   1. too big a top load  or 2. the top
> load is a bit high.
>
> try lowering the top load about 3-4 "  and/or reduce the toriod
>size by about 10%

Scot, why do you think his toroid is too big? I would say it
is the other way around. It is too small. The spray-off at the
top indicates he has got E-field control problems, so he either
needs a bigger topload or at least a second toroid (which then
can be a bit smaller).

However, I will agree with you that 8" is too high. A good rule
of thumb to start at is 0.25-0.5 * coil former diameter.

Coiler greets from Germany,
Reinhard