[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Effects of ozone -was Re: tesla coil noise--how loud?

>  What exactly are the effects of breathing ozone? It's been very cold here
> and there's snow on the ground, so I've been running my coil
> inside a large
> steel building (16ft ceiling) with no ventilation. I like the smell of
> ozone, but I know it's not very healthy. I have gotten some really nasty
> headaches that seem to last forever, but other than that, what are it's
> effects on the human body?

I found the following on the CDC web site:

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng0068.html

Needless to say, it is pretty nasty stuff and not to be breathed in if you
can possibly avoid it. Taking antioxidants like vitamin C, CoEnzyme Q10,
NADH and the like *might* help reduce the damage, but don't quote me on
that. Best to be safe, and make sure you have very good ventilation.

>From my (basic) knowledge of biochemistry, the warnings on the CDC site are
probably if anything quite muted. Oxidising agents cause all kinds of damage
to biochemical systems, up to and including genetic damage (i.e. possible
birth defects, cancer, leukaemia etc.), nerve damage or even death. O3 is
likely to be particularly bad because it is very reactive.

Sarah

PS: Here's an extract from the web page - it makes sobering reading,
especially when you look at the occupational exposure limits and see how low
they are.
__________________
PHYSICAL STATE; APPEARANCE:
COLOURLESS OR BLUISH GAS , WITH CHARACTERISTIC ODOUR.

PHYSICAL DANGERS:
The gas is heavier than air.

CHEMICAL DANGERS:
The substance decomposes on warming producing oxygen , which increases fire
hazard. The substance is a strong oxidant and reacts violently with
combustible and reducing materials. Reacts with alkenes, aromatics, such as
aniline, and ethers, bromine, nitrogen compounds and rubber producing
shock-sensitive compounds. Attacks metals except gold and platinum.

OCCUPATIONAL EXPOSURE LIMITS (OELs):
TLV: 0.1 ppm; 0.20 mg/m3 as Ceiling (ACGIH 1991-1992).
OSHA PEL: TWA 0.1 ppm (0.2 mg/m3)
NIOSH REL: C 0.1 ppm (0.2 mg/m3)
NIOSH IDLH: 5 ppm

 ROUTES OF EXPOSURE:
The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation.

INHALATION RISK:
A harmful concentration of this gas in the air will be reached very quickly
on loss of containment.

EFFECTS OF SHORT-TERM EXPOSURE:
The substance irritates the eyes and the respiratory tract. Inhalation of
the gas may cause lung oedema (see Notes). Inhalation of the gas may cause
asthmatic reactions (see Notes). The liquid may cause frostbite. The
substance may cause effects on the central nervous system , resulting in
headache and impaired vigilance and performance.

EFFECTS OF LONG-TERM OR REPEATED EXPOSURE:
Lungs may be affected by repeated or prolonged exposure to the gas.

N O T E S
The symptoms of lung oedema often do not become manifest until a few hours
have passed and they are aggravated by physical effort. Rest and medical
observation are therefore essential. Immediate administration of an
appropriate spray, by a doctor or a person authorized by him/her, should be
considered. The symptoms of asthma often do not become manifest until a few
hours have passed and they are aggravated by physical effort. Rest and
medical observation are therefore essential. Anyone who has shown symptoms
of asthma due to this substance should avoid all further contact with this
substance. Turn leaking cylinder with the leak up to prevent escape of gas
in liquid state.