[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Newbie....was Details

>Original Poster: Fucian-at-aol-dot-com
>
>hey im a new coiler and havnt even built an actual coil.

Give it time, you will :)

i a 3by3 incher though!it put out 1.5 inch sparks.

ummmm......alright, lemmie see if I can translate this.
You wound a 3"X3"coil? and made 1.5" sparks? Ignition coil?

it was powered by a 1250volt3.5ma he-ne laser supply.

That's VERY low amperage. what EXACTLY are you doing with this?

hopefully you got the hints that i dont know what im doing.

It's alright, Research is what we're doing when we don't know what we're
doing :)

i just orderd a couple of 7.5kv30ma transformers and im building a 3 by 18
inch
>secondary.

I have $5 that says you don't. Try a 4:1 winding ratio and you will only
have to wind ONE secondary for now. :) If you "Candlestick" your secondary
you will drasticly loose performance. As I understand it though, Tube Coils
prefer high ratios. hmmm, weird.

I have a 6"x24" coil, that's 4:1 and the performance is great. With little
coils they seem to like a bit higher ratio, like 5:1 or so, BIG coils, like
Wysocks toys, sometimes use a lower ratio, like 3:1.

These are Terribly finicky machines, and your coil WILL have a personality
of it's own. They also have a sense of humour.

can you help me by telling me the dangers such as electricution and
>things never to do and how loud is this?

Boden's Coiling Survival Tips. Ver 1.1

1. Before you touch ANYTHING on your coil, put the plug in your front
pocket, no exceptions.

2. Never play alone. In our lab there is NO HV work done without a Buddy,
and ANYONE who works in our HV lab has to know at least basic First Aid and
CPR. Many of us are trained in EMS. LEARN CPR!

3. You don't have to actually TOUCH something to get killed. At ANYTHING
over 600VAC it can, and will, jump out and bite you.

4. "Skin Effect" is a joke. Unless you plan on being a broadcast Enginneer,
forget you ever heard about it. The output from a Tesla Coil will go
STRAIGHT THROUGH you, in the electrically shortest path possible. If you are
holding something with 2 hands, this is across your heart.

5. There is a vast difference between Theoretical and Practical. What the
numbers say isn't always what happens inb the real world. Things heat up,
explode, smoke, and God knows what else for no forseeable reason whatsoever.
The slightest variable, that you will never see can easily and radically
change performance of your system from one minute to the next. Keep detailed
notes and logs and WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN.

6. Read everything you can get your hands on. A great place to start is
here. read every post to the list. You won't understand most of it at first,
but as you learn this stuff you'd be amazed at how much starts makeing sense
all of a sudden. It helps us from answering the same questions over and
over, and helps you to be a better coiler, and not get dead.

7. Don't hurry. Take your time when working, do it right. You don't get a
second chance with most of this stuff. Electrical things happen in the blink
of an eye. If you hook something up wrong, at HV. Before you even finish
throwing the switch, it's fried. Double check everything.

8. Hot metal looks JUST like cold metal, and I have scars to prove it.

9. The amount of energy that you can manipulate from a little wall outlet is
staggering. Especially when you are dealing with Caps. Learn and understand
what things like WATT, AMP, JOULE really mean. 30 milliamps may not sound
like a lot, but at 15,000 Volts that adds up, remember VxA=W.

10. Find a mentor. Many people on this list will work 1 on 1 with you. If
you can find a coiler in your area your set :) My mentor is in Brasil :)
Though I live in Michigan. But without him, I would surely never have gotten
this far with as few injuries.

Anyone else care to add to this?

Christopher Boden
The Geek Group