[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Self-tuning Tesla coil

I'm thinking of designing a "self-tuning" coil.  Instead of using a spark
gap to generate frequencies (which my secondary will resonate on), I'm
thinking of the following:

1.  A computer generates a frequency which is amplified to the point where
I can drive the primary with it.

2.  I detect the magnitude of a received radio signal with my computer
(e.g. signal strength monitor in the frequency range I'm generating)

3.  Change the frequency so that I get maximum output.

This sounds like something that has probably been tried before.  I was
wondering if anyone had any insights into this--especially people who have
experience with using computers with Tesla coils and haven't blown up many
computers...

                     - A. Banerjee

p.s.  "spam_proof-at-worldnet.att-dot-net" is a legitamate e-mail address.  Many
"spam" programs ignore addresses which contain "spam", or "nospam" in
them.  Accordingly, I don't receive much spam on this account.  Feel free
to e-mail me here.