[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: SG questions cont'd + power factor

>Since I sort of know ("think" I know ;-)) these things I have never really
>looked for such sites.  I have noticed that the suggested values for PFC
>caps never seem to be optimal for me.  I end up using MicroSim to predict
>the best values (and confirm them by a bit for trial and error on the real
>system.  MicroSim has always been right)).  The formulas assume things are
>nice and linear and they really are not.  But the suggested values don't
>hurt, they just are not the "best".  Others probably know more about PFC
>selection than I do.  I just (kind of blindly) do what MicroSim tells me...

And of course, the 20% tolerance on the typical PFC cap doesn't help either,
not even worrying about the problems with determining the "real" power
factor of a TC.  For PFC, you just worry about getting reasonably close, and
just leave it at that...

If you were designing a 100 MW induction furnace or hooking up the
generators at your local hydroelectric plant you might spend a bit more time
on the Vars and Watts...