[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Poly-Lok polyester resin transformer...

You guys are both talking about polyester resin, but not in the same form. For
those who have not worked with polyester resin, it is a liquid monomer that
must
be mixed with a catalyst to start a polymerization reaction that causes it to
"cure" to a solid. Acetone is the solvent most commonly used to clean the
unreacted monomer liquid from tools, fixtures, etc. Once the resin has fully
polymerized, acetone has very little effect, causing a slight
swelling/softening
of the surface of the cured resin. Because of acetone's rapid evaporation, any
object would need to be submerged in sealed contained of it to maintain
extended
contact with liquid acetone.

There are literally dozens of different coatings used for magnet wire; some are
severely attacked by extended exposure to acetone, some are slightly softened,
and some remain unaffected. Remember that NST's are very low-cost commodities,
and generally will not be constructed with premium high-temperature magnet
wire,
etc. "Tar" and polyester resin are probably the lowest cost/lowest performance
potting materials on the planet, and reflect the cost/reliability requirements
of the transformer.

Based on the easy availability of non-resin potted NST's, I'd suggest that it's
not worth the effort & cost of acetone to try and "de-pot" one.

Acetone is used as a solvent for cleaning up UN-catalyzed, UN-cured polyester
resin

Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> on 01/06/2000 06:16:29 AM