Re: gap breakdown voltages

on that fateful day 7/29/00 9:32 PM, Tesla list uttered:

> Original poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> One of the most "famous" spark gap tables was published for years in the
> CRC physics handbooks.  I don't know why they stopped publishing this table
> I used often...  I scanned it below:
>
> http://1071737050/site/misc/SGapVolt.jpg

I believe that the CRC table applies more to DC and 60Hz AC (peak) voltages,
and will be way off at RF.  Note also that if your spark gap is not made up
of two spheres (of the various diameters listed in the table), or needle
points, you will get different results.  For instance, cylindrical
electrodes with sharp edges will give distances somewhere between needle
points and spheres of the same diameter as the cylinder.

- Gomez (Bill Lemieux)

aibohpphobia: fear of palindromes