RE: gap breakdown voltages

John, All,
	The breakdown voltage of spark gaps is very predictable and repeatable.
In the old days, this is how high voltage was most often measured.  Even
today spark gaps are accurately calibrated to protect antenna tuners and
other high voltage devices from voltages beyond their design limits.

	My favorite table is in an old ITT Reference Data for Radio Engineers, 4th
edition (1954).  I compared the spark gap data in the graph of this book
with what Terry posted from the CRC and they agree out to the 3rd place if
care is taken to make the proper adjustments for barometric pressure,
temperature.

	At first glance the two handbooks looked different, but then I noticed
that the spark gap in Terry's posting was in units of cm while the ITT
handbook used inches.  Let's face it, physics is physics and there is
nothing different about spark gaps in Tesla Coils that makes them different
when used there.

	Residual ionization will decrease the breakdown voltage and is probably
unique to Tesla Coil use along with local temperature build-up.  That's why
so many Coilers use a fan to move air across their spark gaps.

	Old books, the older the better, are great sources of Tesla Coil type
design information.  I was lucky enough to find my old copy for 50 cents
during a library clean-out sale.  My newer version, that I use at work was
acquired at a Garage Sale for 25 cents and it was priced appropriately
compared to the information in the older one.  :-)

Dick