Re: static multi-gap spark gap spacings???

In a message dated 7/16/00 11:41:32 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "John Morawa" <morawaj-at-interaccess-dot-com>
>

>  Hello,
>
>   I'm confused (what else is new?).  When I was coiling last (over 10 years
>  ago) i was running a 15/30 NST with a static spark gap.  By experimentation
>  I found that placing a metal object between the two electrodes of the gap
>  and thus breaking it into 2 gaps (or even more), seemed to increase output
>  sparks nicely.  With the 15/30 NST and say 2 gaps, each gap was at least
>  1/2" for a total spark gap arcing length of at least 1".  My question is
>  this.  I have seen projects out there being powered by 12kv xfmers that
also
>  use a static spark gap ( the Richard Quick gap i think it was named).  It
>  consists of say 7 copper tubing pieces 1" dia by 2" long all in line with
>  each gapped with a seperation of 0.028".  That is smaller than 1/32"!  The
>  total spacing would be 6 x 0.028" = 0.168" which is almost 3/16".  This
just
>  sounds wrong to me!  If i'm correct the capacitor will hardly charge
nowhere
>  near it's maximum before the gap would break down and fire.  Sounds great
if
>  you want the absolute minumum amount of stress to your system but the
>  secondary spark output would be a mere fraction of it's possible potential.

John,

Using a narrow gap, the gap will fire multiple times per ac half cycle,
so the actual power drawn might approach that drawn using a wider
gap (with lower bps).  But you are correct that the performance will
suffer, because I've found the best "efficiency" at low bps.

>  Please enlighten me as to what is going on here or what is wrong in my
>  thought processes.
>   You folks are great!  There is a wealth of knowledge and experience out
>  here.  I would like to build my new coil to be very efficient and would
like
>  to do it right, so I have been asking many questions as of recently.  Even
>  though sometimes I get a variety of different replies I very much
appreciate
>  hearing everyones experiences and their input.  Have a great day and thanks
>  again.

Yes, it's a great list and a great group of folks.  I like your goal of making
the coil very efficient.  That is my goal also.

Cheers,
John Freau