Re: First VTTC light, and a few questions

Hi John and Grayson,
I've been lurking in the rear of the classroom and would like to toss my
$0.02 into
the pot.

Grayson, I lost track of what if anything happened when you bypassed the
filament
leads to ground to eliminate the circulating RF.

The 811 is a medium powered Class A amplifier intended for use as an audio
frequency
amplifier. Running the tube with visibly red plates must exceed the plate
dissipation
rating of the tube and also produce considerable secondary emission.  I was
wondering
about what happens as the electron space charge increases around the plate.
This will increase with secondary electrons caused by electrons from the
filament, and it will also
increase from the thermal electrons emitted by the increasingly toasty plate.
Meanwhile, back at the filament, much depends on how much emission the
filament has. Perky
electrons leaving the filament with enuff kinetic energy to penetrate the
filament and plate
space charge may also knock off more secondary electrons. Increasing the
plate voltage
will certainly help, but I was wondering if the increasing secondary emission
caused by
running the tube red hot won't eventually simply saturate the tube into a
lower plate
current than that obtainable at lower levels of plate dissipation? I'm
planning on toasting a
pair of 838 graphite plate triodes this winter. Maybe some learning will
happen  :-))

Happy day,
Ralph Zekelman