[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Solid Secondary?

Hi Mike, Bob, all,

> Original Poster: "Mike Harrison" <mike-at-whitewing.co.uk>
>
> >Original Poster: "Bob Wroblewski" <bwroblewski-at-yahoo-dot-com>
> >
> >  There are some scrap clear acrylic rods of 1.5 to 2
> >inches diameter at work in the machine shop that are
> >calling me to wind them!
> >  I know acrylic (thermoplastic) isn't the best
> >material because of combustability but I'm talking a
> >low power, tabletop demo coil.

> Might look interesting if you space-wound an acrylic form, so some
> light could get through! How about putting a lamp at the bottom to
> light it up from inside (in series with the ground wire perhaps!).

I would advise against this. It would LOOK great, but I placed a
250W bulb in my ground connection (8" coil -at-1275VA) and it died
within seconds of turn on. The pulse current is just too high. If you
place it in the bottom of an acrylic former and this happens, the
resulting sparks and arcs around your (no longer present) ground
connection will turn your former into a carbonized and gooey mess.
;o(((

Coiler greets from Germany,
Reinhard