[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Kind words for ozone and nitrogen dioxide

Ozone is create by the Tesla Coils in large enough quantities to cause
pulmonary edema in cases of long term exposure in a confined space.  If you
run a coil indoors for some time, without ventilation, it can get to
dangerous concentrations before you realize what's wrong.

Every year, people die from inhaling chlorine generated when they mix bleach
with other cleaning agents.  By the time they realize they're choking and in
need of air, it's often too late to save them.  Pulmonary edema is not a
successfully treatable condition.  What applies to Chlorine applies to Ozone
as well, they have very similar effects at the same concentrations.

Nitrogen dioxide is far less of a hazard to coilers, given the ultra-low
concentrations in which it is produced.  In medium to high concentrations it
has a very obvious appearance of a dense rust colored smoke. I have been
unable to produce much NO or N02, even when I've deliberately tried to
create confine it using high voltage.

As for the overall dangers of N02, it is indeed more dangerous than either
Ozone or Chlorine. It is a very dangerous gas on par with Phosgene and
Bromine in terms of its toxicity in the lungs at higher concentrations.  I
got some flowing over my hand once by accident, and it left a burn with a
dark orange stain that lasted for weeks.

-Adam
adamsmith-at-mediaone-dot-net