[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: The never ending saga: Ballasting

Well I guess I figard it out fer my self ;>)

I am getting some kind of primary resonance, but has worked into a great
current limiting scheme. I have found this is almost as satisfactory as a neon.

Regards,

David Trimmell

>Hello,
>
 >A few days ago I posted questions regarding ballasting and was wondering
why the voltage drop. Tonight I        >have done some experiments, as
empirical data is needed for someone who barely understands this (ME!). I
>tried a inductor in series with my PT, a 60 mA neon primary with
secondaries shorted together. I got almost >a 40 volt drop to the PT, I was
only getting 100 V into it (0-140 volt variac). Then I tried 16 uF Cap
across the >mains right after the inductor (neon primary), and hell if I
was getting 135 volts, only dropping 5 volts from the >variac supply! Now
have I truly missed the boat? Probably. But why didn't someone just mention
that I >needed to place some C across the lines to get back lost voltage? I
tried it again with another inductor and >found I could limit current to 15
amps at 135 volts, with terminals shorted on the PT, and this followed my
>calculations including DC resistive losses (as measured). Voltage drop
from impedance is something I don't >quite follow. But it does seem that a
little capacitance in the inductive current limiting scheme is called for.
I >found no indications of mains resonance, but can anyone explain how/why?