[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Question about ballasting and VA

HI Ross,

> Original Poster: "Barton B. Anderson" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
> Original Poster: "Ross Overstreet" <ross-o-at-mindspring-dot-com>
> Hi Ross,
>
> Just got a quick question (clarification):
>
> I think I understand what your trying to say, but correct
> me if I'm wrong: "The reactor acts as an impedance matching
> device "because" spark length has a maximum current condition
> where no further increase in ballast current will increase spark
> length?".
>
> Thanks,
> Bart
> <snips>I used to think that inductive ballasting works by adding Z in
> series with
> the primary of the transformer.  Now I think that this is of secondary
> importance.  I currently lean towards the idea that the series inductance
> allows one to adjust the Z of the transformer so it is a much better match
> to the line. I think that it has more in common with "setting the SWR" of
> the system than just adding series inductive reactance.

An equivalent circuit shows that it is adding inductance in series with
the primary cap. The value is transformed at the transformer
secondary by (Ns/Np)^2. At some inductance depending on Fmains
and cap value, the charging system resonates at Fmains. If energy
is not regularly removed from such a configuration, this boosts
transformer primary current and can lead to core saturation in
addition to extremely high cap voltages not to mention an extra
burden on the transformer windings..

Regards,
Malcolm