[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

copper static SG problems

Hi,

I'm trying to get my new static SG to work. It's made of copper tube
pieces in series, and connected to 8kV 50mA NST and a 8nF cap. Tubes are 6
pieces of 3" long about 1" diameter, thick copper tube pieces. They are
placed so as just to fire at 10kVDC or so.

The problem is, I can't keep the copper from frying! Even after short run
times, 10 sec, the copper tube get's pitch black dots that don't conduct,
and after that the SG fails to fire... :( I have to sand the dots off
each time to get it working again.

Am I doing something wrong?

Other thing: I've always wondered, how come a 400VA TC with a larger, say
4", secondary gives longer streamers than a smaller TC with exactly the
same cap size, voltage and power level? Is this related to the frequency
somehow?

greetz,
Jan

--