[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Strange Spark Behavior

> Original Poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

> <  However, after 20 seconds or so
>> something bizarre happened.  The frantic, multi-branched sparks all slowly
>> coalesced into a single, un-branched, fat, fuzzy, tendril reaching straight
>> upward.  It grew slowly toward the ceiling while waving gently, like a
>> cobra under the spell of a snake charmer.  This was a bit alarming, as I
>> only have an 8' foot ceiling with some electrical wiring up there.  After a
>> few seconds, the long, glowing tendril collapsed back into chaotic,
>> multi-branched sparks again.  I was treated to a repeat performance of the
>> "light serpent" effect of a few seconds duration every 30 seconds or so.
>
>> Greg Hunter >>
>
> This effect is common using a spherical topload
>
> Cheers,
> John Freau

This is basically a one-sided Jacob's ladder :-)  You've got a whole bunch
of forces acting on the arc: the magnetic field of the secondary, the
electrostatic field of the secondary and the topload, and thermal convection
(just like in a regular jacob's ladder).

In your case, the net result of all these fields and forces is an upwards
propulsion, which is completely consistant with what you should expect,
given the cylindrical symmetry of the coil.

Of course this phenomena works best with a perfectly smooth sphere, since
any irregularies could provide a preferential breakout point that would ruin
the effect.

-Adam
adamsmith-at-mediaone-dot-net