[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NST insulations

<snip>
>Having never de- or Re potted an NST I have a few questions :)
>
>I have 3 15/60 Jeffersons (the baby-blue painted ones) filled with the
>standard Black Tar. They are all dead from Tesla Duty, most with one side
>toast.
>
>1. Is a hot-plate suitable for cooking them? Other ideas? The oven is NOT an
>option :)

Should work fine.

>.
>2. Can I do this without stinking up the house?

Yeah, take it outside

>3. How do I remove the shunts?

I understand with Jefferson  it may require drilling and /or grinding

>4. How do I identify the shunts?

pieces of iron between  the primary and secondary coils. When you have the
core depotted and cleaned they will be easy to see and identify

>5. How many can I remove without toasting the thing?

You'll have to experiment with it. Use an ac milliampere meter and a
variac. you should be able to get about 3X rated secondary current without
putting too much of a duty cycle on it.

>6. If Vasoline is used, how do I make sure to fill all the air spaces?

Vaseline melts too!

>7. What are other good potting compounds? I would prefer something easy to
>work with, and not liquid.

Paraffin wax, epoxy

>8 Is it better to keep it in it's original case, or would somehting like a
>5Gal bucket be better?

Each has its own advantages and disadvantages. whatever works best for you.

>9. Can wooden forms be used to place and center the core in a bucket? (I
>have seen this done with BIG transformers in oil)

I don't see why not as long as the wood is very,very dry

>thanks guys.
>
>Chris B.

Good luck
Bruce