[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

The worlds Largest Coil

We went out to the new facility yesterday, talked to some people, and looked
around. This is what we know.

The towers are very nearly 85' tall.
They sit 40' apart.
They are about 15' in diameter.
They are on top of a 9 or 10 story building.

Questions.

1. Is Electrum the largest coil in the world? Or is Wysock's 13M bigger?

2. Can a 100' tall coil be built?

3. What would the ballpark costs of something of this magnitude be?

4. What is the best H/D ratio for coils at these sizes? Is it still 4:1?

Proposed design ideas.

Remove one (or both) of the existing stacks and use the heavy foundation to
mount the coil on. This gives us 10 stories above ground to start with.

The coil is to be the largest of it's type in the world with a minimum
margin of 10% to the existing record holder.

The coil is to be of permanant construction and design. With a duty cycle of
at least 1 5min run every 24 hours at midnight.

The coil is to be impervious to the effects of rain, snow, and 50MPH wind
gusts. (Can guy lines be used?)

The coil is to have a discharge point in order to prevent damage to the
building beneath it and strikes to the HV power lines (138KV)in the
substation next to it while still makeing thew longest possible arcs. Ideas?

This is a pipe dream with a real possibility of becomeing a reality, but we
need a LOT of help to do it. Let's make this a reality :)

Have fun:)

Chris B.
The Geek Group
www.geekgroup-dot-org