RE: AC Split phase motor????

Hi Scot,

A Split Phase motor has a switch that allows power to be supplied to the
start winding at low speed and opens at some predetermined RPM. They are
used
where higher starting torque is needed such as tools, etc. Your 1/5 HP was
probably
a Permanent Split Capacitor like used as a blower motor on a furnace or
something like
that. That would have a motor run capacitor 4 or 5 uF in series with the
start winding.
The split phase motor will either have no capacitor, just a centrifugal
switch, or a start
capacitor in series with the centrifugal switch and the start winding,
(capacitor start induction run) or a start capacitor in series with the
centrifugal
 switch and the start winding _and_ a run capacitor across the
centrifugal switch and start capacitor. (capacitor start, capacitor run)
The motor is fine for a sync gap, in fact it is the best kind.

later
deano