RE: Salient Pole Modification

Hi Herbert,

750W/HP so 450/750 = 0.6 HP
Also rule of thumb for PSC type motors is approx. 20uF/HP so 16uf would put
it at
about 3/4 horse max.

As far as cutting the flats, the best method I have found is to install the
disk
on the unmodified motor (preferably with the electrodes mounted to the disk
exactly
as it will be used) and run it to get an amp draw. Then take the motor apart
and
mill some flats, but not a lot. Put it all back together, and take another
amp draw.
Keep repeating this procedure until the amp draw is 85 to 95 % rated FLA at
rated voltage.
This will give the best compromise between torque and lock up at low voltage
without
over amping the windings. Yes it is a lot of work to take the motor apart
and put it
back together several times, but one motor I did that way locks at about
130V and gives
almost 40 degrees of adjustment over a 130 volt change. (Min voltage for
lock 130, max
available 260, nominal input 240). I set the physical position of the motor
for best
results at 160V in, then I can advance or retard 20 degrees wile running by
adjusting
a small variac that feeds the motor.

later
deano