Re: toroid size

In a message dated 11/13/00 11:54:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "Michael Deegan" <mdeegan-at-mediaone-dot-net>
>
>  Youve probably read about my 6" coil in the previous days posts...
>  The toroid i orignally made was 3.5" X 20.5"  But i could only draw inch
>  long arcs from it. it is powered by a 12/30 trannie. im constructing a
>  MMC to replace my cureent saltwater caps. Does the height of the toroid
>  above the secondary matter arc-length wise??? When i get my new 15/60
>  trannies can i go back to using my old toroid??? is it just too big for
>  my coil???

Michael,

A 12/30 NST is capable of giving 42" sparks.  A toroid as large as
4" by 17" , or even 5" by 20" can be used when the coil is optimized.

Height of toroid will affect the spark length by only a couple of inches
at most.  Higher toroid gives longer sparks, but increases the
likelyhood of racing sparks on the secondary at higher powers anyway.

So the size of your toroid could even be considerably larger when
you use the two transformers, if the coil is optimized.

   http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html

John Freau