Re: My first coil

In a message dated 11/15/00 2:08:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "Paul Benham" <Paulb-at-woodanddouglas.co.uk>
>
>  I am looking towards building my first coil.  I have looked at various
>  web sites and the archives on pupman, as well as ordering a couple of
>  books and some software.  Some questions:-
>
>  I have a 900Va.c. 0.5A transformer.  This requires too much capacitance,
>  but should I contemplate building with this as a cheap start, with less
>  capacitance, or am I wasting my time.

Paul,

You can use two microwave oven transformers with the cores both
grounded to a common point to get about 4kV with high current.
One time I used 4 MOT's in series to get 7kV, but the cores were
on the edge of breakdown, although I did get 63" sparks nevertheless.
some folks use doubler circuits with two MOT's to get more voltage.
These transfomers are very lethal of course.  And the NST's are
lethal too.  Best bet is probably an NST if you can find it.  OBIT's
(oil burner ignition transformers) are good too if they can be found
in the UK.

>  I have thought about a 1" diameter secondary as a start, or should I
>  think about a 2" Secondary(I only have a small garage).  My worry is I
>  will build something which will not spark at low enough power inputs,
>  and I believe that both sizes will take about the same amount of time to
>  build.

IMO, this is kind of small.  I like to make the secondary at least
3" dia, by 12" tall, and often much larger.  Many folks have built
smaller coils though.

>  Does anyone know of anywhere in the U.K where I can get an NST on the
>  cheap, or a good supplier of Polycarb caps that I can use to make a
>  MMC?  I have looked at RS/Farnell, but they do not seem to have anything
>  suitable.
>
>  Are there many people in the U.K. coiling?

There are quite a few folks coiling in the UK, you'll enjoy seeing
the webpages of the various UK teslathons which are held quite often.

My webpage is at:

  http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html

You'll find theory, photos, etc there, etc.

Cheers,
JOhn Freau