Re: Box fan motor for rsg

In a message dated 10/7/00 11:50:15 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "Kevin D" <teslacoilfreak1-at-mediaone-dot-net>
>
>  Hello everyone,
>
>  I was wondering if the motor from a 20" box fan could be used for a small
>  RSG (sync./async.)?The only ratings on the motor are: 120V,60Hz,2.1A would
>  anyone know what the average H.P. and RPM's would be for this type of
motor?

>  Thanks for any input,
>  Kevin Dalpe

Kevin,

THis may be a 1725 rpm motor.  If so it can be modified for sync
operation by grinding or filing flats on the armature.   An 1100
rpm motor can also be modified for 1200 rpm sync but will need
6 flats instead of 4.   It's not a very
powerful motor, so the rotor and electrodes should be very light
esp for sync operation, or it won't lock up.

John Freau