Re: Finally joined

Hi Joe. Welcome!  Now, about your cap setup,  You say 22 of the 500pf
caps wired in series parallel.  I see that you have therefore a set of 11
series stacked caps, of which each series double set will give you 250pf.
 Then these 11 ganged cap sets will be wired in parallel, that should
give you about 2750pf or .0027mf.  I am not really good at math, but I
think I applied the capacitance formula to your cap bank properly.  I
think you need more tank capacitance to get a longer streamer from your
secondary. If, indeed you have a 15/60 neon.  Anyway, if you get more
capacitance in your tank circuit, you will then see that you will be able
to tune your primary to a shorter length(meaning less turns).  As far as
the ungrounded secondary.  I think you should be very careful in your
apartment, since you may incur the wrath of your neighbors if you
generate interference on their A/V equipment.  A pitchfork in the butt
would cut your coiling short, not to mention tar and feathering!  And as
you strive for more power and longer arcs, it would be wise to use a
grounding source on your coil.  As far as spark length with or without
the secondary being grounded, this is what I have found:  I have a
dedicated Tesla ground in the backyard(a 10' piece of 1/2" copper type
'L' water pipe, set in a damp area near a natural spring).  It did not
seem to affect streamer length if the ground was coupled or not.
However, I keep an old 19" color tv set on at all times while I run my
coil so I can observe the interference on the screen.  With the ground
disconnected I will generate more noise into the tv, which shows up as
washed out lines on the picture.  So be very careful.  There is nothing
like a good ground from a safety standpoint!  A proper ground will also
protect you and your coil in the event of a catastrophic short.  Please,
Safety First!  Fires and electrocution are no fun.   Also, a Tesla coil
generating arcs is a fearsome sight indeed to the eyes of the
uninitiated!  Everyone runs away from mine when I fire it!  Al.