Re: Finally joined

In a message dated 9/13/00 8:53:40 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: jduva-at-baytechnologies-dot-net
>
>  Well, to answer John Freau's query, I'll dump out some info on my current
>  coil.  It's powered by a 15kV 60ma (I *think*..) neon, a cap bank of 22
>  500pf 30kV DC ceramite doorknob caps in parallel for .011 uf at 30kV.  The
>  spark gap consists of 7 copper pipe couplings spaced 1/16" apart

Joe,

Thanks for that info on your coil.  As far as increasing the spark output,
th doorknob caps are sometimes somewhat lossy for RF, so a cap
such as an MMC might help some.  Also, if you don't already have
a fan blowing on the spark gaps, that might help some too.  I've
gotten 42" sparks from a 12/30 NST, using a synchronous rotary
gap, and lots of secondary turns.  With a sync rotary it's a good
idea to use a larger than matched sized capacitor to keep the
voltage lower.  Such a large cap can work well in a static gap TC
also.

John Freau