Re: Need Ozone

Original poster: "cougercat by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <felix1063-at-home-dot-com>

Just my 1 1/2 cents worth...

Ozone is a very powerful oxidizer.  One can smell it in amounts at less than
1 part in 10,000,000.  In greater amounts, ozone will quickly eat away at
the mucus membranes that line your lungs.

There is a simple test that can detect ozone in less than 1 part in
1,000,000.  It consists of a piece of paper that has been moistened with a
starch emulsion containing a little sodium or potassium iodide.  In the
presents of ozone, the iodine is set free and impacts a blue color to the
starch. **

In 1997, OSHA decreased the amount of exposure time for ozone from .125 ppm
to .08ppm/8 hours and classified it as a "very toxic, dangerously reactive
oxidizing gas."

Tests have shown that Ozone can be detected by the human nose at .005 ppm;
with the average hovering around .0076 ppm..  At .100 ppm, it is easily
recognizable.

Do I follow the OSHA rules on ozone?  Nope - not really but is is just my 1
1/4 cents worth.

--jeff  :'

**  General College Chemistry; Sneed & Maynard  - Van Nostrand Press 1944