Re: Cornell-Dubilier caps (was salt water caps or buckets?)

Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>Original poster: "Bill Vanyo by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
><vanyo-at-echoes-dot-net>
>
>Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>
> > Complete plans for a bucket cap can be found at...
> >
> > http://www.thegeekgroup-dot-org/Projects/Tesla/capacitors.htm
>
>I noticed you're using Cornell-Dubilier caps.  I have a bunch of these
>(.047uF 3000vdc) that I was planning on using for an MMC.  Then I found
>a doc on one of Terry's pages (which I can't find now -  it listed
>"good" caps and "bad" caps for MMC's), and the Cornell-Dubilier's were
>the only "bad" cap listed.  I know somebody else on the list used these
>and they blew rather easily.  Are they working for you?  Maybe the ones
>you have are constructed differently - mine are pure metallized film, no
>foil (I unrolled one).

I believe Robin Coprini is using the same ones as we are, and he's got a Pig
system on his.

Ours came directly from CD (not a distributor) as part of their sponsorship
of the Group. We've pounded the caps several times and never had a failure.
They've been run below freezing, and moved dozens of times.

Maybe our MMC is different. I've never seen one built like ours (and having
spent 4 days drilling holes I know why) most of them are VERY different.
I didn't read Terry's chart (good thing too) and we didn't pick CD, they
picked us. We begged every cap producer out there. CD was the first to
accept us for sponsorship. It took us almost a year to get a cap sponsor,
and it has definately been worth it. After we got the company, Mark Broker
speced the caps and designed the MMC electrically.
We spent a month scrounging materials (Lexan, resistors, etc) then we all
got together here at Little St to build them. On the first day we decided (I
have no idea why) to radically change the design (we were gonna use the
Coprini design) to the one you see on our site.

I designed the layout of having the caps held in place by their leads and
floating in open air, the resistors too. I mentioned it while we were
screwing around with the lexan and we all thought it would greatly help
cooling, completly elimate arcover, and look radically different than
anything else out there. The downside is they took FOREVER to build and were
WAY more labour intensive than they had to be. We wasted a lot of time
stuffing caps into little holes only to have them all fall out as you tried
to get the top piece on....ugh.

We have the Pig system coming together now as we get settled into Sigma-6
and will be testing the caps to their design limits and beyond. I'll let you
know what happens. So far we have CD caps in 3 of our large cap
applications. We have the 4 MMC banks without a failire (thank God, it'll be
impossible to replace an individual cap without a LOT of work). We have a
room full of electrolytics (250 caps, each 450VDC -at- 1500uF) for our Project
Thumper. And we have 100 of the 25kV mica caps for the Groucho Project (Marx
bank). I hope they all survive :)

>BTW, your page (listed above) doesn't view under Netscape 4.7

lol....that's been an ongoing struggle for 2 years now. We made our site in
Frontpage and the CSS files are screwy. We are currently in the process of
recoding the entire site in Dreamweaver and Flash. Within 2 months (we have
a REALLY big site) it will be done and replace the code-nightmare that is
our current site.

>	- Bill

Are you a member yet?

Have fun!