From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2001 11:35 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: re: 70kv system

Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun-dot-com>

Johnathan,
          I too built one of those (almost 20 years ago). The spark-coil
powered TCs are always going to be disappointing. I got maybe 1" sparks
from the top of my TC that way, but the spark-coil that powered it could
do 1" sparks so what was the point of the TC in that case?

I soon obtained a (very small) 6kv-20ma Neon Sign Transformer, and got
4~5" sparks right away. Cool.

For years I thought I was doing something wrong not getting the 8~10" sparks
that the plans said were possible. Not so, the only way to get that long
of a spark on a 12" high coil is with 7.5kv input, and 9kv will get 12~14".

-Peter Lawrence.