BIG transformer, Flat secondary coil

Original poster: "Jason Johnson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <hvjjohnson13-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Well I finally got the BIG transformer all torn apart and got the core onto a
cart that I built that can handle the 800 pounder w/o blowing apart. The core
is very nice and is all of 26"x24"x5". I'm going to play around with it for a
while today after I get done working, see if I can saturate it :-). It turned
out that it can't be dissasembled easily, as the whole thing is more or less
one unit. This probably won't be that big of a problem, however, as I can fit a
six inch wire spool through the winding window in the core. Also I would like
to know if it would be possible to use a winding, or several windings on the
core as control windings, to control the amount of current draw or voltage?

Also I was thinking today about making a flat secondary. This may sound weird
at first but if you were to use it as a driver coil in a magnifier setup it
would be really neat. You could use a flat primary and vary the coupling by
moving the secondary and primary apart, and if you made the primary the right
size, you could place the extra coil in the primary and run it as a
conventional coil. This would be a neat comparison between magnifier and
conventional coils. Building such a beast would be tricky but I think if you
sandwiched the secondary between two peices of acrylic, and used some nylon
bolts to hold it together it probably wouldn't be all that difficult with a
larger guage wire; say #20. The flat secondary wouldn't output much voltage but
that would be alright in a magnifier. I've got a few pounds of #19 wire, all I
need is a bit of plexiglass....