Re: Treenails??

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <uncadoc-at-juno-dot-com>

Hi All,  The waferboard, flakeboard(oriented strand board) and particle
board work reasonably well for Tesla stuff.  We have used all of them and
have found that they all work OK within reason.  Matter of fact, we had a
problem with good quality hardwood plywood as a primary platform that had
actually arced through the lower part of the secondary tower ground
terminal through a three inch long open internal spot in the center of
the plywood(about the size of a long skinny splinter)and back up to the
primary tubing through a miniscule hole or flaw in underlying areas, and
carbon tracked clear out to the primary tubing right through the 1/4"
wood dowel standoffs!.  And this was so called 'pro' hardwood plywood
with many laminations with no voids. Ha, ha!  Well, it had a big air void
in the center sandwich and carbon arced and smoked and drove us nuts
trying to find out why our coil shorted,buzzed and sputtered and would
not fire at full intensity.  The best laid plans of mice and men........
  Al.

On Fri, 06 Apr 2001 11:57:55 -0600 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
> Original poster: "ebyng by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
> <ebyng-at-netlimit-dot-com>
>
> Matt D. & ya'll
>

> >Treenails may be somewhat overkill, but their presence in a project
> of
> >today indicates a pride of craftsmanship that I can relate to.
>
> Yeah, I kinda like them. There cool to make and they look nice.  I
> also
> could use all the insurance I can get. heheheh.
>
> Do you know if that comp board is any good for the primary base (not
> the
> wire supports, the base top)?  Its thin wood ships pressed into a
> board
> with copious amouts of glue.  Its pretty strong, and once its sealed
> with
> poly, it doesn't soak up much water...  Before, though, thats
> another
> matter.....
> i would hope it would... Buying 3/4 inch ply is killing my wallet...
>

> >I think only those with an internal PFC Cap would be capable of
> biting.
>
> No caps in mine, but I read about it happening on a website.  If I
> find it
> I'll post the addy, see what ya'll think.
>
> thanks
> Erik

> Free email with personality! Over 200 domains!
> http://www.MyOwnEmail-dot-com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/tagj.