Re: Counterpoise question

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/9/01 2:20:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
> <yevaud_new.uk-at-excite.co.uk>
> >
> > Hi all -
> >
> > A recent post mentioned the use of a counterpoise. I'm in the middle of
> > building a 1kW Tesla Coil and, when it is finished, have plans to
> > demonstrate it to my physics students. However, finding a decent RF ground
> > in the lecture theatre is not going to be easy so I was wondering whether
> > could get away with using a counterpoise? Not having used one before, I
> > hope you won't mind some pretty basic questions: Can I get away with using
> > one at 1kW ?  If it is made out of aluminium foil spread out over the
> > lecture theatre floor, how many square feet of it (roughly) would I need ?
> > To what do you connect the other things that would usually be connected to
> > the RF ground...NST core, safety gap etc....to the counterpoise as well ?
> > Does the counterpoise really need to be connected to the mains ground as I
> > think I read in one post or do you just leave it capacitively coupled to
> > the ground ?
> >
> > With thanks,
> >
> > Alan.

Hi Alan!

        An electrical counterpoise is a conductive surface under the coil
that "looks like"  a ground to the secondary. If you can't reach the ground
with a reasonably short wire, this may be a better way to go. One made of
many thin wires placed radially is claimed to be better, because a solid
surface (foil, flashing, etc.) is home to significant eddy currents. From
what I have seen, it should be at least as large in diameter as your primary
winding or strike rail. I personally would not connect anything from the
secondary side of a Tesla coil to any mains connection in any building
containing any equipment owned/used by other people.
Hope this helps,

Matt D.