RE: Can anyone explain this???

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

.Hi Tyler

I am happy to see you have already installed the 50 amp variac I sold to
you. Its really going to be interested to see how those reconstructed NST's
perform on your large Tesla coil. By adding those protection caps, you have
put another tank cap across your transformers that will combine with your
main tank cap. If you initially designed for a specific capacitance form
your main tank cap, then the protection cap will throw this off. You may
have to widen your spark gap to adjust for the extra current coming from the
protection cap. But if you widen your spark gap, then the tank circuit will
run at a higher voltage, thereby putting your NST's at more risk. So we have
a situation where the protection caps may actually put your NST's at more
risk.

Godfrey Loudner