Re: I could cry......

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi Chris,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> <snip>
> I immediately mounted the 6"X39" secondary, popped the bike wheel (32X3")
> toroid on, and got 3' (measured)whispy arcs to the ceiling with a 12/120
> supply.
>
> What is the max I can expect for arc length with a 12/120? I got a feeling
> I'm TERRIBLY inefficiant right now.

Yep, you are. John Freau's NST equation (sqrtWatts*1.7) shows 65 inches.

> Ok, total coil specs for tonights setup:
> 6X24, then a 6X39" secondary closewound with 22AWG and 12 coats of
> oven-dried shellac on a well prepped, baked and sanded form of green s/d
> PVC.
>
> 3 element static gap (Pics tomorrow on the site :) )
> Dual 12/60 paralell NSTs
> um....poo...Mark, what is one bank of the MMC rated at? I was using one of
> the small ones.
> Our standard old control panel ('bout time to make a new one...hmmmm)
> primary is .25 spaced at .25" and something like 15 turns I believe (though
> it's tapping REALLY short, like 4 or 5 turns (we used to be out at like 8 or
> 9 with the SW caps).

Sure wish I knew your cap value, but I think your "way" off on the tuning
if using a 3" x 32" toroid (I
looked only at the 6x39 here). Using 4 1/2 turns, you would need a cap
value in the range of 0.185uF!!!
(unless I made some horrible math boo boo, but don't think so). The tuning
is probably why your secondary got
bit by the glow worm. Hmmm, get that cap value.... What is the value of
that string?

> Ok guys, here are the options for the secondary.
>
> 1, unwind it to the burn, trim it down, and pop a couple coats on. Use it as
> a shorter, fatter secondary, about 6X18".

I use an exacto blade to cut along the winding below and above the burn.
Unwind the area and solder in a new
winding then recoat. Just an option. Maybe the winding opened only at the
pin hole... a dab of solder may do
it... worth a check.

> 2. COMPLETELY encase it in an epoxy hexagonal block (after unwinding it
> down) and try it out. I always wanted to try this, just for kicks.
> INCREDIBLY lossy, but it'd look cool.
>
> 3. It'd make a killer lamp for my office. Run a length of cunduit down the
> inside, make a cute fake primary base and a neon topload :)
>
> Actually, I like that idea, lol....hmmmmm

Me to.

> btw, theoretically what would the optimum sized toroid be for this setup
> with the 39" coil?

I'd use a 5" cord with a 30" to 35" across.

Take care,
Bart A.