Re: A Little more than general questions IIl

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi wade,

> Original poster: "Wade B AndB Anderson by way of
> Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
> <nabedaw-at-juno-dot-com>
>
> Thanks again to Greg, John, and Matt,
>
> Greg......... what inductance formula did you use???
> It's been 10 years
> since my electrical schooling, so if some of my
> questions seem a little
> to the left, it's because they are.:) I spend more
> time than I'd like
> refreshing my memory.

I cheated and used a Tesla coil design program to do
the math for me. I'm too lazy for the pencil & paper
jazz.

> How did you come up with a resonant freq. of 70

I cheated and used a Tesla coil design program, etc.,
etc.

> khz??  I'm familiar with
> Fr = 1 / 2(pie) (LC) and the Q of the coil.
>
> Q = Xl / Rw        Xl = Inductive reactance     Rw =
> winding resistance
>
> As well as
> Xl = 2(pie)FL
> Xc = 1 / 2(pie)FC
>
> This kind of flows into my next question.   Where is
> the high frequency
> generated from??? Is it coming from the RC time
> constant of the tank
> capacitor???

The RF comes from the tank circuit.  There's one
frquency where the inductive reactance of the primary
coil is exactly equall to the capacitive reactance of
the tank cap.  That's the frequency it oscillates at.
If you tune this LC tank circuit to oscillate at the
natural self-resonant frequency of the secondary coil,
you'll make sparks.

> Now when the air is ionized at the spark gap, a very
> high current is
> flowing, yes??? And when current flows in a
> conductor, it creates a
> polarized magnetic field yes??? Is the affect the
> same through the
> ionized air??? I would imagine so. The same thing
> would happen with the
> streamers from the toriod, true???

Yes, but in a Tesla coil, we are dealing with RF AC
current that rapidly and constantly reverses
direction, so the magnetic field oscillates too. Good
thing too, this oscillating magnetic field from the
primary couples the power to the secondary and excites
it to oscillation.

> John.......I wasn't able to download setup.lst from
> your site. It just
> comes up as page cannot be found???
>
> Matt.....In the formula for inductance that you
> listed L =
> u(micro)henries. Did you intend to say
> milli(m)henries, or is
> micro(u)henries correct???