Re: SECONDARY WINDING AND COATING JIG

Original poster: "Daniel Hess by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dhess1-at-us.ibm-dot-com>

I built my coil winding machine from the remnants of an old copier machine.
It had all the motors, pulleys, sprockets, chains, bearings and so on that
I needed (and lots of left over parts for other projects). That and some
lumber and a few other items from the local building supply house. I even
used the side frames from the copier as the head and tailstock on which
support the coilform during winding and coating. I built this winder to be
adjustable and can handle up to a 7' x 22" coilform  (someday...).

One gotcha that I discovered the hard way was that while keeping the coil
rotating while applying the finish (I use poly) to avoid runs/sags, I got
the cute idea to use a pair of heat lamps to speed up the cure time of the
poly. Ordinarily this wouldn't be a bad idea but I discovered that as the
copper heats up it expands while the thickwall plastic coilform remains
relatively cool. The result is that I created loose turns from the
expanding copper wire. Once discovered, I turned off the heat lamps and it
eventually cooled down and shrank before the poly set. Since then I just
keep the coil rotating and let it set at room temperature. I get beautiful,
glasslike finishes every time.

Maximum fun from only pennies per kilowatt,

Daniel

"Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> on 04/25/2001 08:52:26 AM