RE: here's an interesting idea.

Original poster: "Atkinson, Chip by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <CAtkinson-at-Circadence-dot-com>

Actually you don't even need a motor.  If you make an S shaped piece of wire
and put a dimple in it in the middle and balance the S on a point that is
attached to the toroid, it will spin by itself.  You don't need the motor at
all.  The S is arranged like a sprinkler.  I believe that it spins due to
the electric repulsion between the wire and the spark in the air.  It's
probably one of the worlds least efficient motors. :-)