Re: mot's

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Nick,

I think the resistors I used were from All Electronics
of Van Nuys, CA. I don't see them in the catalog any
more. The flat ceramic resistors turned out to be a
poor choice anyway. They ran too hot, and they had an
aluminum strip through the middle for mounting. The HV
arced to the aluminum strip, so I had to remove it.
MECI Electronics has 100 Ohm, 100W ceramic power
resistors for $3.75 in their catalog. They also have
an unfortunate $20 minimum order policy. Mouser
Electronics has 100 Ohm, 100W ceramics too, but they
are a bit pricey.

Are you using the voltage doubler? I only used the
resistors to protect the doubler diodes from RF
feedback. If you are using only the MOTs, you can skip
the resistors. It won't hurt the MOTs any to run
without them. The 100 Ohm resistors are just for RF
filtering. They will not provide any current limiting.

A 15A breaker is inadequate for two MOTs unless you
use additional ballast. I used a 240V 20A window A/C
outlet, and the MOT twins pulled right at 20A all the
time.

Regards,

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg