Re: mot's

Original poster: "Jason Johnson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <hvjjohnson13-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> A 15A breaker is inadequate for two MOTs unless you
> use additional ballast. I used a 240V 20A window A/C
> outlet, and the MOT twins pulled right at 20A all the
> time.
>
> Regards,
>
> Greg
> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg

A fifteen amp breaker isn't necessarily inadequate even without ballasting.
I use a 460 BPS arsg with my two unballasted MOTs (no voltage doublers, no
protection filter, not even a safety gap) on my coil that throws 5-6 foot
sparks (when its dry I see regular hits past 6 feet, longest to date is 78")
and it runs on a 120 volt 15 amp breaker and can run several minutes at full
power without any problems. With any static gap short of a monstrous
airblast gap or good triggered gap, you will regularly trip a 15A breaker, I
suggest a rotary gap. If you have no voltage doubler like me, you will spend
a whole day getting the tolerances close enough to fire at such a low
voltage (mine fires reliably at 1800 volts, but it took me two days to get
it that good, all I've got for machining is a cheap drill press).

By the way, for those of you who said my rotary gap was going to fail in
short order because of the Al rotor directly on the motor shaft, the coils
cumulative run time with the gap is getting up into several HOURS, and I
have yet to see a single problem. The bearings that you said should have
spot welded themselves together are as good as the day I bought the motor, I
can spin the rotor by lightly blowing on it, and there isn't a single noise
or vibration from them :-)

<< Jason R. Johnson >>
G-3 #1129
The Geek Group