A Difficult TC?

Original poster: "Ron Hubbard by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <hubbard_ron-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hi, all;

Has anyone built the Tesla coil found at
http://www.pupman-dot-com/current/vladi2/ubjt.pdf? I am tempted to build it but
I can't cross-reference the transistor shown in the schematics and I don't
know what to use as a substitute.

And there are a couple of questions I need to ask more experienced coil
builders. For sinstance, the part of the circuit with the diac and triac
looks suspiciously like a common light dimmer and I was wondering if a cheap
lamp dimmer could be used in place of that part of the circuit?

And lastly, I have a piece of  nominal 1" PVC pipe (which is really 1.25"
around)  that's about a foot long. I also have some surplus 18 gauge
stranded wire on hand. According to the Wintesla program, if I make a
secondary using that wire and piece of PVC as a coil form I should get a
resonant frequency of nearly 2 MHz with a toroid; 5 MHz if the coil is
unloaded. I need to know if the wire being both stranded and insulated would
change the secondary's resonant frequency any.

Ron Hubbard