Re: Ballast bulk buy / Bombarder Chokes

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Neonglo-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 8/12/01 4:03:24 PM Central Daylight Time, Steve White
writes:

<< I would like to know the dimensions of your 5 KVA unit. I have been
 wrestling with how to build a reliable ballast at this power level. I would
 like to know the following. >>

Hi Steve, All,

I got the measurements on the 5kVA bombarder choke today as follows:

1. Dimensions of core = 1 5/16" square by 18" long. 3.8 lbs.

2. Bobbin dimensions = 15" by 1 3/8" square ID. Constructed of tempered
hardboard (Masonite)

3. Number of turns = Three layers of #10 solid copper, wound 9 TPI, 15" long.

I have put some pix on PhotoPoint of the choke at;

http://albums.photopoint-dot-com/j/PopUpIndex?u=1424805&a=11222029&pw=&size=small

Pictures 5 through 8 are of the choke. A 12.5kVA choke core is shown in pic
#8 along side the 5 kVA core, along with it's dimensions.

<< What sort of duty cycle do you get with your ballast? >>

Bombarding usually calls for about 2 to 3 minutes on, and 10 to 15 minutes
off. This equates to about a 20% duty cycle, but this can be increased
greatly with the use of forced air across the coil. Add another layer of
windings to decrease the low end current even more.

I'd be glad to try and answer any more questions about these chokes. They
should be simple enough to build, and should work very well with any
non-shunted tranny, like a pole pig. I have used it before on my TC with good
results.

Regards,

Tony
Tony Greer