capacitance meters

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com>

John F. and all,

A recent posting by John F. on measuring the isotropic capacity of a toroid
got me interested in checking the intrinsic capacitance of my 4 handheld
meters capable of
measuring capacitance. The leads used are just 36 inch test leads with
alligator
clips on the end.

I have a Wavetek 27-XT, a Fluke 12, a BK 878 LCR bridge, and a TEK 353. I
checked
the "zero" or intrinsic capacitance of each meter  with no leads connected
(NL), with the
connected to the meter (L), and the leads Twisted around eachother to get them
close together (LT).

TEK 353
The TEK 353 is the only meter of the 4 with a zero adjust. The 353 could be
set to zero
at all times.

Wavetek 27-XT
(NL)         0.036   nF