Re: Touching the Power

Hi Ry,

Tesla list wrote:

<rblaisdell-at-juno-dot-com>

> Now I am sure this has been talked about before, but I am new to the
> list.
>
> I want to know the facts on  the skin effect and how dangerous it is to
> allow an arc from a tesla coil to run throught the human body.
> I have seen photos of arcs coming from finger tips, but knowing that
> pictures are so very easily manipulated to enhance an illusion I am not
> going to touch my coil.
> Has anyone on the list done this or seen this done and lived to reply to
> this message?

I haven't done it and won't. The skin effect is a real phenomenon at high
frequency's,
but typically discussed how it travels in the outer surface of copper wire,
"not" the
human body. It will travel within your body along the most conductive
pathways (the
liquid portion). This however is done by some, but I hope their using a
metalic body
net or similar method. Just because it doesn't hurt, doesn't mean it's not
doing
damage. oops, actually, I really wanted to say something about your second
question.

> Another subject,
> I just got a quote from NIX electronics in Odessa, TX for a 15kva pole
> transformer.
> $405 before shipping $457 with shipping.  It is refurbished.
> I am wondering if this is a fair market price or should I negotiate a
> better price and/or keep looking?
>
> thanks in advance,
> Peace,
> Ry

A bit steep. I purchased my pig from Solomon Corporation (10kva, 14.4kv,
694mA) for
about $300 including shipping. Completely remanufactured, non-pcb, etc..
etc.. Some
have picked them up for half this from time to time. I think you could probably
negotiate a better deal.

Take care,
Bart