Re: NorCal Teslathon -- Interesting Devices and Effects

Original poster: "Kennan C Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kcha1-at-juno-dot-com>

Greg makes good points here & I tend to agree with him.  Seems as if the
best that can be said with any certainty is that it is due to some
unquantifiable combination of capacitive and inductive coupling and with
coupling via a common ground being only a small to negligible part of it.

Is that good weasle-wording, or what?

Ken Herrick

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001 08:01:48 -0600 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
> Original poster: "Greg Leyh by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
> Regarding how the power might be coupling to the passive coil,
> I tend to discount coupling thru the ground connection, since
> the ground is only rising 1oo's of volts at best, and the Q of
> a loaded secondary (one with an arc hanging off it) is usually
> far less than 100... The req'd resonant rise just isn't there.
>
> Magnetically, I can't see 1,8oo watts coupling that far either.
> The toroid, which is *much* more closely coupled than the other
> coil, doesn't seem to experience any measurable inductive heating,
> and whether the toroid is a shorted turn or not doesn't seem to
> impact the operation of the coil in any noticable way.
>
> Electrostatic coupling seems to be the most plausible theory
> so far.  The secondary C is effectively around 130pF. If even
> only 1% of that C is linked to the other toroid, then that
> would account for around 200 watts... perhaps more if resonantly
> coupled.
> --
>

> -GL
> www.lod-dot-org