Big Variac

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <A123X-at-aol-dot-com>

I just got the variac that I won on ebay for $36 plus around $40 in shipping.
Its output can be as high as 280v at 20amps(at 2000VA I'll be using less than
half its potential) . I opened it up to try to figure out the connections,
but it didn't really help. I need to get a look at the bottom of the core
because these 6 wires come from under there so I should be able to see what
they connect to. If I still have any problems I'll take some pictures. Just
thought I'd mention it. Should I put the ballast for my power supply on the
variacs input or output side?

Mark