Re: Big Variac

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <A123X-at-aol-dot-com>
>
> I just got the variac that I won on ebay for $36 plus around $40 in shipping.
> Its output can be as high as 280v at 20amps(at 2000VA I'll be using less than
> half its potential) . I opened it up to try to figure out the connections,
> but it didn't really help. I need to get a look at the bottom of the core
> because these 6 wires come from under there so I should be able to see what
> they connect to. If I still have any problems I'll take some pictures. Just
> thought I'd mention it. Should I put the ballast for my power supply on the
> variacs input or output side?
>
> Mark

hi Mark...

what kind of variac is it??   ( brand name ). Most variacs use the same wiring
setup, ( usually 5 connect points) check out my web page
HTTP://members.telocity-dot-com/~bigfoo39/  under tesla coiling, paralleling
variacs... it has a fair amount of info on the powerstat 1256D type variac and
the wiring diagrams, this should give you an idea on how to hook up yours.

normally the ballast goes between the variac and the transformer

Scot D