Re: sync motor :-( update_2

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Kidd6488-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 7/28/01 11:16:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Hi Jonathon,
>
> At 10:27 PM 7/28/2001 -0400, you wrote:
> >Hi again,
> >      Ok, your replys on that cent. switch made a lot of sense to me. So I
> >popped the motor apart again (after 6 times, one gets pretty good at it
> :-\)
> >and looked at the contacts on the motor, and the centrifical switch on the
> >rotor. Both looked good, but I still cleaned them up.
> >      Also, when taking the motor apart the first time, I noticed a seal
> or
> >something laying on my work area. I couldn't figure out where it went, so
> >put it in the housing end, in what looked like a seal area. I guess it
> didn't
> >go there, because that was what was causing some of the heat, and -100
> RPM. I
> >know this because this last test, without the seal, didn't get hot, and
> was
> >clocked at 1725 RPM.
>
> If this is a plastic ring, it could be part of the speed switch.  There is
> sometimes a plastic ring between the rotating part and the fixed parts to
> act as a wear surface or bearing surface between the parts.

I don't think it is because it wasn't broken, or worn, it just was laying
there. And the switch does work.

> >      I know the switch is good, because I saw it spark as it kicked off.
> >For those of you not keeping up, this motor has flats, yet is running at
> 1725
> >RPM (what it is rated at).
>
> Oh!  That is a real good sign that it is working!
>
> >      I also did the carboard circle thing with flourecent light, and it
> is
> >noticeably out of sync. Do I really need a variac to fine tune the
> voltage?
> >I'm not worried about phase shifting as of this point. I just want this
> dang
> >motor to run sync....
>
> Hmmmm.  It almost has to work.  I am running out of ideas here  0:=|

People Have said use a variac. Is that necessary to get the voltage jsut
right? Not for phase shifting, just to get it to sync.

> >      Also, a couple questions:
> >
> >      1) would a 1/2" x 6" lexan rotor be ok?
>
> Probably.
>
> >      2) what can I do about excessive endplay?
>
> I went to the "water faucet" section of the hardware store.  There are tons
> of little rings, gaskets, and other nice things that could be used to shim
> the shaft ends to remove the end play.  Today's faucets have hundreds of
> parts and everyone makes their's different.  This provides many great
> little parts at the hardware store.
>
> >      3) what kind of supports should I use to hold the stationary
> >electrodes?
>
> Strong insulated ones :-)
>

> >I'm sure this thread will live for a while  :-D
>
> There may be a change the windings have a short in them somewhere or there
> is some other defect in the motor.  Was the motor working well before you
> started?

Yes, I had plugged it in and it ran fine. I didn't check the RPMs when I did
that, because I hadn't thought of modifying it then, just making a RSG (I was
dumb then,and didn't know that ARSGs killed NSTs :-D )

> If it was not so heavy, you could ship it to me and I could take a look at
> it.  I am very interested in finding what could be the problem here.  Sort
> of a mystery...

I know, I was hoping this would be easy...

> Cheers,
>
>    Terry

Jonathon Reinhart
hot-streamer-dot-com/jonathon